- Ph D, University of Glasgow, UK, Linguistics. (1998).
Thesis: Cohesion & Cohesive Devices as shown in the translation of Najib Mahfouz’s novel The Thief and the dogs by Trevor Le Gassick
- PG Diploma, University of Salford, England, Translation. (1993).
- B.Ed., University of Alexandria, Alexandria - Egypt, Education. (1990).
AREAS OF COMPETENCE
Translation, Applied Linguistics and Language Skills.
Aug-2006 to Present : Assistant professor in Abu Dhabi University,P.O.Box 1790,Al Ain,UAE
- Aug-2011 to Jul-2005 : Assistant professor in Ajman University,Ajman - UAE
- Aug-1999 to Jul-2001 : Assistant professor in Zayed University,Dubai,UAE
- Aug-1996 to Jul-2001 : University of Glasgow
RESEARCH & SCHOLARLY ACTIVITIES
- The Dilemma of Translating Arabic/English/Arabic Kinship Terms and possible solutions. (Empirical Study).
Gender in Arabic and its Effect on Translation in a Translation Classroom. (Empirical Study).
“Aspects of Problematic Gulf-Arabic homophones in a Translation/Interpretation classroom (Empirical Study). WMU-AUC First International Congress on Arabic and English Linguistics and Rhetoric conference, March 23- 26, 2009.
“Are we Globalized Enough? Making use of the Internet in an English-Arabic Translation Classroom (an Empirical Study)”. UAEU Conference on Translation/Interpretation and the Impact of Globalization – November 18-20, 2008 AlAin,UAE.
Revised and Edited “Islamic Thought & Culture”. Al-Falah Publishing: 2005 and 2007,Al-Ain UAE.
Making use of the Internet in a Translation Classroom. Seminar at Imam Muhammad Bin Saud University, Riyadh 2005.
Semantic Development as shown in the translation of Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea.University of Alexandria, Faculty of Arts Periodical, Jan. 2005.
Translated the Abu Dhabi Maritime Atlas in conjunction with the Emirates Heritage Club in 2004.
Compiled an Arabic phrasebook for the Rough Guide in conjunction with Lexus Publishing April ‘98. This involved meeting deadlines, working under pressure, proofreading, coordinating with the translation manager and the typesetter.
CONSULTANCY & INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
- Arabic Language Counsellor at Network Scotland ‘96-‘99. My duties include providing accurate information, phone skills, translating the updated information into Arabic.
- Interpreter/Translator (Arabic/English/Arabic) at Strathclyde Interpreting Services 1994-99.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- University of Glasgow Alumni Organization. (July 1998 - Present).
- University of Salford Alumni Organization. (1993 - Present).