- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Rochester, NY, USA 1992
- M.Sc., Chemical Engineering, University of Rochester, NY, USA 1991
- B.Sc. with Honors, Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece 1987
Dr. Ioannis Zuburitkudis is a Professor of Chemical Engineering in the Chemical Engineering Department of Abu Dhabi University (ADU) and acts as the Chair of the department. He joined ADU in August, 2016. Ioannis is in academia since 1998, when he joined his Greek Institution as an Assistant Professor. He has also worked in industry as a Chemical Engineer and Researcher in the USA and in Greece. His research tries to identify and understand the impact that nano-scaled dimensions have on material properties, and to use such insights to adapt and affect the design and engineering of advanced materials, surfaces and processes that may lead to valuable products. In Greece, he has established and developed the NanoMaterials & Manufacturing Processes Laboratory (NanoMaMa Lab), while he has served as the Chair of his academic department. His research has been funded by Greek, EU (European Union) research agencies and the U.A.E. He has authored or co-authored over a hundred articles in refereed journals and conference proceedings, and he has co-organised international, pan-European and Greek conferences. He supervised graduate and undergraduate students and has taught several courses (in Greek and in English) including Chemical Engineering Principles, Engineering Thermodynamics, Chemical Thermodynamics, Physical Chemistry, Mass Transfer, Separation Processes, Chemical Reactor Design, Polymer Engineering Science and Technology, Water Desalination, in addition to supervision and coordination of Senior Design Projects.
Areas of Competence
- Organic/inorganic nanohybrid materials: Polymer Nano(bio)composites and Nanofibers, Polymeric Biomaterials
- Super-solvophobic (such as super-hydrophobic) Surfaces/Coatings, Functional Coatings, Thin Films & Solid-State Microfabrication Techniques
- Heterogeneous Catalysis, Design and Fabrication of Nano-catalysts
- Professor and Acting Chair, Chemical Engineering, Abu Dhabi University, UAE. 2016 - now
- Professor, Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, UAE University, UAE.2012 - 2016
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering & Industrial Design, WMUAS, GREECE.1998 - now
- Chemical Engineer, Hellenic Petroleum Company, GREECE.1995 – 1998
- Military Service, VI Infantry Division, Greek Armed Forces, GREECE.1993 - 1995
- Research Scientist, Eastman Kodak Company, USA.1992 - 1993
- Teaching and Research Assistant, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, USA. 1987 - 1992
Research & Scholarly Activities
- Recipient of several research grants from the Greek Agency for Research and Development (GSRT), the Greek Ministry of Education, the Region of Western Macedonia, the European Union Research Framework, and UAE.
- Supervised 1 PhD Degree student in UAE, co-supervised 4 PhD and 2 Master Degree students in Greece, mentored and supervised many undergraduate students in Greece and the UAE.
- Authored or co-authored over 100 articles in refereed journals and conference proceedings.
- Reviewer in many scientific journals related to polymers, (nano)materials and chemical engineering.
- Organized one pan-European COST Action Conference, co-organized Greek and international scientific conferences.
Consultancy and Industry Experience
- Worked as a Chemical Engineer in Industry, Hellenic Petroleum Company S.A., Thessaloniki, GREECE 10/1995 – 6/1998
- Worked as a Researcher in Industry, Vacuum Coatings and Electrostatics Research Lab of the Coatings Technology Department, Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, USA 9/1992 – 9/1993
Membership of Scientific & Professional Societies
Current or former member of the following: American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), American Vacuum Society (AVS), Materials Research Society (MRS), American Catalysis Club, Hellenic Biomaterials Society, Hellenic Embiomechanics Society, Balkan Environmental Association (BENA), Technical Chamber of Greece, Greek National Association of Chemical Engineers.