- Ph.D. in Structures and Mechanics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA 1987
- M.A. in Structures and Mechanics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA 1985
- M.Sc. in Structural Engineering, Ain-Shams University, Cairo, Egypt 1982
- B.Sc. with Honors (Class Valedictorian) in Civil Eng., Ain-Shams Univ., Cairo, Egypt 1977
Areas of Competence
- Structural Dynamics, Earthquake and Bridge Engineering.
- Seismic Behavior and Seismic Retrofit of Bridge Structures, especially Long‑Span Bridges.
- Stability of Steel Plates and Bridges.
- Dean, College of Engineering, Abu Dhabi University, UAE. 2007 - Now
- Director, General Education Program, UAE University, UAE. 2006 - 2007
- Chair of Civil & Environmental Eng. Dept., UAE University, UAE. 2000 - 2006
- Associate Professor then Professor, UAE University, UAE. 1998 - 2007
- Associate Professor, Univ. of Maine, Orono, Maine, USA. 1993 - 1998
- Assistant Professor, NYU-Poly, Brooklyn, New York, USA. 1987 - 1993
- Teaching and Research Assistant, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA. 1983 - 1987
- Teaching Assistant, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt. 1977 - 1983
Research & Scholarly activities
- Recipient of several research grants from the U. S. National Science Foundation, Maine Department of Transportation, Maine Bath Iron Works, the University of Maine, and UAE University.
- Supervised 3 Ph.D. and 18 Master Degree students at NYU-Poly and University of Maine.
- Authored or co-authored over 60 technical publications in refereed journals and conference proceedings on the dynamic and seismic analysis of bridges, in addition to two edited books.
Consultancy & Industry Experience
- Consultant for several engineering projects in the USA, such as:
- Seismic evaluation and retrofit of the Vincent-Thomas Suspension Bridge in Los Angeles.
- Structural integrity of steel structures in the State of Maine.
- Floor vibration of the Bus Terminal of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- Dynamic analysis of the Mid-Hudson Suspension Bridge in New York State.
- Seismic analysis of the Talmadge Memorial Cable-Stayed Bridge in Georgia.
Membership of Scientific & Professional Societies
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, USA (EERI), Member since 1992.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member since 1985.
- Structural Engineering Institute of the ASCE, Founding Member (2001 to present).
- ASCE Committee on Performance of Bridges, Member since 1995 and Past Chair.
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society, Member (1991 to 1997).
- International Association for Concrete Technology, Executive Board Member since 2003.