Computer Engineering involves the design and analysis of computer hardware, software, and networks. Thus, computer engineers work on the hardware, software, and networking aspects of systems design, development, and maintenance in all areas served by technology today including government, education, health, industry, commerce, tourism, and infrastructure. Some of these computerized systems are as small as ones found in thermostats or mobile phones and others are as large as ones found in industrial robots, cars, or data centers. As computer engineers. work emphasizes innovation and hands-on experience, they are also involved in building prototypes to solve problems wherever they arise in society.
Computer engineers support the information technology infrastructure of institutions and companies, which is a key resource for success today. Computer hardware engineers usually design, develop, test, and supervise the manufacturing of computer hardware such as chips or device controllers. Software engineers, on the other hand, can be involved in the design and development of software systems for control and automation of manufacturing, business, management processes, or mobile devices. They also analyze clients. needs and design or customize existing mobile, web, or standalone applications software to serve these needs. Computer network engineers design, implement, maintain, secure, and support wired and wireless digital communication
for institutions and companies without which the core business is disrupted.
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program at Abu Dhabi University is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. It has been developed according to the standards of international professional bodies such as the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE), the Computer Society (IEEE-CS), and the Association for Information Technology Professionals (AITP). This ensures that the graduates of the program will be uniquely qualified to design, analyze, and test wide-ranging solutions using state-of-the-art technologies.
The educational mission of the Computer Engineering undergraduate program is to provide students with a multidisciplinary curriculum that is fundamental, yet broad and flexible. The program seeks to produce graduates who are well-rounded in mathematical, scientific, and technical knowledge; who have the ability to analyze, evaluate, and design computer engineering systems; who have the ability to communicate effectively; who have had meaningful opportunities for undergraduate research; and who have acquired an understanding and appreciation for global and societal issues and are thus prepared for a career path toward leadership in industry, government, and academia.
The Electrical and Computer Engineering Department is a leading and internationally-accredited destination for high quality education and applied research in the technology sector and contributes to the UAE and regional economic development.
The objectives of the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering program are to produce graduates who will:
- Demonstrate their success as computer engineers with a good set of technical, problem solving, and leadership accomplishments.
- Participate in life-long learning activities such as training, continuing education, or graduate studies.
- Contribute to the development and the growth of local and global communities and uphold their ethical, social, and professional responsibilities.
Program Learning Outcomes
The following program outcomes describe competencies and skills that our students acquire by the time of graduation. Our graduates are expected to be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics (including probability, statistics and discrete math), science, and engineering.
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- Design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- Function in a team.
- Identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Communicate effectively.
- Acquire the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- Recognize the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Demonstrate knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Design, implement, and test computer hardware.
- Develop firmware and program embedded systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency in high-level and low-level programming languages.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
During the Academic Year 2014-15, the computer engineering program reported
- BS degree enrollment: 125 students
- BS degrees conferred: 18