Information Technology (IT) is concerned with studying various areas that are related to meeting user’s needs in various activities of computing technology. The Information Technology (IT) program is designed to educate students about the current trends of IT that offer a better potential for employability. Students will acquire the core knowledge needed for IT professionals and, at the same time, have specific knowledge in specialized areas. The program is structured as a set of core courses and three concentrations. Through these concentrations, students will learn up-to-date knowledge in this fast growing field and increase their chances to find jobs. These concentrations will focus on web technology and internet applications, networking, mobile applications and security, and interactive media, game programming and simulation. Moreover, students will be offered the opportunity to do a practical project.
This project oriented approach will improve their learning curve and help them to have a hands-on experience. Moreover, the IT program at Abu Dhabi University is designed with conformance of international standards and guidelines . This ensures that graduates of the program will be uniquely qualified to design, analyze, integrate, and administer computing technology. The B.Sc. IT Program provides undergraduates with the broad technical education necessary for productive employment in the public or private sector, and it develops in them an understanding of fundamentals and current issues important for future years of learning.
The mission of the Information Technology Department is to offer student-centric degree programs that prepare students for highly rewarding careers in the technology sector and empower their contribution to the UAE and regional growth through excellence in teaching, and to meet the development needs of the country and the region through faculty scholarship and community service.
Program Educational Objectives
The B.Sc. IT Program provides undergraduates with the broad technical education necessary for productive employment in the public or private sector, and it develops in them an understanding of fundamentals and current issues important for future years of learning. Our program educational objectives are:
- Demonstrate their success as IT professionals with a good set of technical, problem solving, and leadership accomplishments.
- Participate in life-long learning activities such as training, continuing education, or graduate studies.
- Contribute to the development and the growth of local and global communities and uphold their ethical, social, and professional responsibilities.
The IT program is specifically designed to provide the IT graduates with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in workplace and in advanced studies.
The following program outcomes describe competencies and skills that B.Sc. IT students will acquire by the time of graduation. B.Sc. IT graduates are expected to be able to:
- Apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline.
- Analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs.
- Function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations, and society.
- Recognize of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development
- Use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice.
- Use and apply current technical concepts and practices in the core information technologies(of human computer interaction, information management, programming, networking, and web systems and technologies).
- Identify and analyze user needs and take them into account in the selection, creation, evaluation and administration of computer-based systems.
- Effectively integrate IT-based solutions into the user environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of best practices and standards and their application.
- Assist in the creation of an effective project plan.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
During the Academic Year 2014-15, the information technology program reported
- BS degree enrollment: 115 students
- BS degrees conferred: 2