The Office of Academic Integrity (OAI) was established in 2009, on the directive of the Executive Board of Governors of Abu Dhabi University, and under the leadership of the Chancellor.
In January 1, 2016, Dr. Hamdi Sheibani, currently the Dean of College of Arts and Science was appointed as the new Head of the Office of Academic Integrity. The OAI provides leadership in motivating efforts to promote and heighten the values of academic integrity across the institution and among the ADU community including students, faculty, and staff.
Dr. Hamdi Mustafa Sheibani
Office of Academic Integrity
Staff of Office of Academic Integrity
Promoting and supporting academic integrity throughout the University community, fostering an environment of academic trust, honesty, fairness, respect, and responsibility within its student, faculty and staff bodies, and exhibiting and upholding Abu Dhabi University Code of Honor
The mission of OAI establishes the following mandates. These mandates are achieved through the support of the Office of the Provost, and in collaboration with the Heads of academic and non-academic units.
- Creating an environment where students, faculty, and staff are recognized for having high levels of integrity.
- Promoting academic integrity as an indispensable part of students’ personal and intellectual growth.
- Increasing students, faculty and staff’s awareness of issues related to academic integrity.
- Fostering a climate of trust, honesty, and high standards of ethics in the pursuit of academic excellence.
- Promoting a commitment to honesty and integrity among all members of the University community; and
- Implementing the provisions of AIP.
Goals, Objectives, and the Responsibilities of OAI
The role of OAI is educational, informational, investigatory, and advisory. Its main duties and responsibilities are to reinforce the culture of academic integrity at Abu Dhabi University by:
- Raising awareness related to the issue of academic integrity
- Providing advice and counseling to students to help prevent violations of the provisions of AIP
- Producing and delivering tutorials and workshops on academic integrity for new and returning undergraduate and graduate students, and new faculty and staff
- Developing materials, displays, audio-visual material, printed material, and all other forms of communications related to the issue of academic integrity
- Highlighting Abu Dhabi University’s expectations for honorable behavior
- Working closely with Colleges and support units to coordinate and provide education about academic integrity for all members
of the campus community
- Providing procedural expertise and support to College faculty and staff to ensure they appreciate the value of academic integrity
- Training faculty on plagiarism prevention systems such as Turnitin
- Proposing and implementing ways and means to discourage violations of AIP
- Processing allegations of academic integrity violations
- Coordinating University-wide academic integrity initiatives
- Maintaining and updating the University academic integrity Webpage
Operational Activities of Office of Academic Integrity
The Procedural Guidelines for Academic Integrity Policy Implementation articulates the operational activities of OAI in three distinct and interrelated areas.
Educating Abu Dhabi University Community and creating awareness -- The Office of Academic Integrity starts its AI Awareness Campaign (the Campaign) by holding series of "Information Sessions" for students, faculty, and staff. The main purpose of the "Information Sessions" at both campuses is to provide information related to fundamental elements of AIP, its provisions, and the sanctions in cases of violations.
Implementation of the provisions of AIP in cases of violations -- Implementation of the AIP invariably entails instances of AI violations. The procedural aspects in this area are presented into three parts of reporting cases of alleged violations of AI, the "judicial process" for adjudication of the reported cases, and the "appeal process."
Imposing Sanctions for Violations of AIP -- As specified in Academic Integrity Procedures, violations of AIP are punishable by one major sanction: dismissal from Abu Dhabi University, including “F” in the course where the violation has occurred and forced withdrawals in other courses taken in the concerned semester (or term). However, under special circumstances, lesser sanctions may be imposed subject to the discretion of the Academic Integrity Committee and/or Academic Integrity Appeal Committee. The lesser sanctions are listed below based on the degree of severity.
- Failing grade in the course where the violation has occurred and suspension from Abu Dhabi University for one regular semester
- Failing grade in the course where the violation has occurred
- Failing grade in the component of the course where the violation has occurred
Imposition of any sanction is subject to completion of adjudication process of the case, based on the principle of “due process,” and after exhausting appeals. In cases of repeated AIP violations in more than one course in any semester, the most severe sanction permissible shall apply. Students with a pattern of behavior indicative of reckless disregard for AI and ethical standards are subject to dismissal from Abu Dhabi University.