- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) Level 4 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - University of Cambridge (British Council, Abu Dhabi) 2008
- B.ED (Bachelor of Education), Madras University 1989
- M.A. (Master of Arts in English), Madras University 1987
- B.A. (Bachelor of Arts in English), Madras University 1985
Ms. Beena Vijayavalsalan is a senior instructor of English as a foreign language at the Abu Dhabi University. She has experience in teaching English to groups ranging from high school students to young adults. At the University, Ms. Beena has based most of her pedagogy on building up communication skills through debates and public speaking. Students coached by her have won accolades at national level contests and have been able to utilize their skills to further their professional careers.
AREAS OF COMPETENCE
- Execute defined tasks in a particular context excellently
- Employ good user skills in the field of information and communication technology
- Use varied teaching strategies
- Build conversational abilities in students
Cooperate effectively with colleagues and other members of staff
Demonstrate a commitment to the profession
- Technology in Education
- Effectiveness of Online Discussion Forums in Enhancing Writing Skills
- Creative Writing
Senior Instructor of English, Abu Dhabi University since 2008
Instructor of English language, Abu Dhabi Indian School, Abu Dhabi 2001-2008
Instructor of English language, Indian Islahi Islamic School, Abu Dhabi 1994-2001
Published a research paper on ‘Mind Mapping as a Strategy For Essay Writing Skills’ in the issue TNER 201/3 (Vol. 45, No. 2) (The New Educational Review) and is placed on the website of their journal: www.educationalrev.us.edu.pl. (November, 2016)
Presented ‘The Freshmen Newsletter and the Honor’s Dawn Magazine: A New Learning Journey in General Education’ at the First GCC Conference: Reforms in General Education held on March 28th and 29th, 2015 and organized by University College, Abu Dhabi University at Crowne Plaza, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi
Did a research to examine the effects of culture and language on educational interaction among students from different lingual backgrounds but who must use English as a language of learning and communication. The research goal was to investigate the implications of culture on verbal and communication behaviors in a multinational environment. The paper on ‘Verbal & Non-Verbal Intercultural Communication Styles Influence on Learning’ was published in a double peer reviewed international journal entitled ‘Global Journal for Research Analysis’ in the May 2014 issue.
Refereed paper published in the proceedings of EDULEARN13, the 5th annual International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, Barcelona (Spain), 1-3 of July, 2013
Presented paper on ‘Women Activism Across the Continents’ at the International Conference on the topic ‘Gender and Women’s Studies in the Arab Region’ organized by the American University of Sharjah, UAE from March 7th – 9th, 2012.