- Ph.D. in Hydrology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA 1994
- M.Sc. in Civil & Environ. Engineer., Polytechnic Institute of New York, NY, USA 1986
- B.Sc. in Civil & Environ. Engineer., Polytechnic Institute of New York, NY, USA 1986
Areas of Competence
- Groundwater, Unsaturated Flow, and Contaminant Transport Modeling.
- Landfill Monitoring, Incineration and Arc Plasma Technologies, Nuclear Waste.
- Statistical Decision-Making, Game Theory, and Risk Analysis.
- Chair of the Civil Engineering Department, Abu Dhabi University, UAE. 2015-Now
- Director, Center Sustainable Built Environment, UAE. 2015-Now
- Professor, Abu Dhabi University, UAE .2013 - Now
- Associate Professor, Technical University of Crete, Greece. 2007 - 2013
- Associate Professor, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA. 2001 - 2007
- Assistant Professor, Univ. of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA. 1995 - 2001
- Senior Staff Consultant, Intera Inc., US DOE Off. of Radioactive Waste Manag. 1992 - 1995
Research & Scholarly Activities
- Author 3 books: “Foundations of Geo-Environmental Engineering,” ELSEVIER Butterworth-Heinemann, ISBN: 978-0-12-804830-6, 696pp., 2017; "Environmental Risk Analysis," McGraw Hill, Professional Engineering Series, ISBN: 0-07-137266-0, 456 pp., 2001; and "Environmental Risk and Liability Management for Corporations and Consultants," Geological Society of America (GSA), 140 pp., 2000.
- Author over 90 scientific refereed publications in journals and proceedings.
- Awardee research grants from: U.S. National Science Foundation, US Department of Energy, US Sloan Foundation, US Department of Education, Center for Manufacturing & Technology (CEMAT), South Carolina Universities Research & Education Foundation (SCUREF), Technical University of Crete Research Office, UAE National Research Foundation (UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research), and several internal ADU grants.
Consultancy & Industry Experience
- Vice-President Athens Water & Sewerage Co. (EYDAP), Greece (2013-2015).
- Science Advisor to the Greek Minister of Environment (2010-11).
- Senior Staff Consultant, Intera Inc. for the US Department of Energy Yucca Mountain, NV project for the burial of US high-level radioactive waste (1992-95).
- Collaborated with Sandia, Los Alamos, LBL, and Savannah River Site National Laboratories.
Membership of Scientific & Professional Societies
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Geophysical Union (AGU), European Geophysical Union (EGU), and Technical Chamber of Greece.