- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada 2002
- M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, USA 1990
- B.Sc. with Distinction in Mechanical Engineering, Clarkson University, NY, USA 1988
- B.Sc. Mathematics, ST. Michael’s College, Winooski, VT, USA 1986
Areas of Competence
- Growth of Single Crystals, Transport Phenomena in Crystal Growth and Semiconductors.
- Experimental fluid mechanics, pump design and analysis
- Building heating and cooling design load analysis.
- Chair, Mechanical Engineering Department, ADU, UAE. 2011 - Now
- Provost, ALHOSN University, UAE. 2007 - 2011
- Dean of the Faculty of Engineering & Applied Sciences, ALHOSN, UAE. 2007 - 2011
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, ALHOSN University, UAE. 2007 - 2011
- Director of Students Affairs, ALHOSN University, UAE. 2006 - 2007
- Acting Chair Industrial Engineering, ALHOSN University, UAE. 2005 - 2006
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of Victoria, Canada 2002 - 2005
- Executive Lab Manger of Crystal Growth Laboratory, Victoria, Canada 2000 - 2002
- Instructor, Benghazi University, Libya. 1993 - 2995
- Mechanical Engineer, Brown and Root (overseas) Limited, Libya. 1990 - 1993
- Mechanical Engineer, Pratt and Whitney Company, Connecticut, USA. 1989 - 1990
Research & Scholarly Activities
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Industrial Research Fellowships (IRF), for one year.
- Department nominee for the Governor General's Gold Medal, University of Victoria.
- Howard E. Petch Research Scholarship, University of Victoria.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Postgraduate scholarship (PGS B), for two years.
- President’s Research Scholarships, University of Victoria.
- Graduate Teaching and Research Fellowships (GTRFs).
- Tuition Scholarships, Clarkson University, Potsdam-NY.
- Research Assistant Scholarships, Clarkson University, Potsdam-NY.
- Supervised 1 Ph.D. and 4 Master Degree students at University of Victoria and Benghazi University.
- Authored or co-authored over 24 technical publications in refereed journals and conference proceedings on Growth of Single Crystals, Transport Phenomena in Crystal Growth, Crystal Growth from Solution and Melt, Semiconductors, Modelling and Numerical Simulation, in addition to one edited book.
Funded Research and Grants
- Involved in founds and grants at the University of Victoria worth of about 2 Millions C$, supported by NSERC, the Canadian Space Agency (CSA), Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), Amistar Research Inc., Redlen Crystals Ltd., and DLS Crystals Inc.
- Start-up grants $15,000, 2002 University of Victoria, Canada.
- Fund Seeds grants 25,000 AED, 2012 Abu Dhabi University, UAE
Consultancy & Industry Experience
- Mechanical Engineer, Brown and Root (overseas) Limited, Libya.
- Worked with Brown and Root, Inc. on the Great Man-Made River Project. This project was designed to transfer approximately two million cubic meters of water per day from the desert well fields to the north (1500 km) through a four meters diameter forced concrete pipe by gravity.
- As a member of a team of consultants, worked on the modifications of the pipeline valves and well field pumps.
- Conducted the design heating and cooling load analysis of the head quarters building of the project.
- Mechanical Engineer, Pratt and Whitney Company, Connecticut, USA
- This work was aimed at improving the mixing in gas turbine combustors. My contribution was to build a mixing facility (wind tunnel) and acquire velocity data on each stream traveling through an advanced mixer using Laser-Doppler Velocimetry (LDV). The facility is still in use as a research tool at Clarkson University.
Membership of Scientific & Professional Societies
- Fellow, Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering (CSME).
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Chair of the Arab Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers, Arabic countries, 2010.
- Reviewer of scientific papers for the International Mechanical Engineering Conference & Exposition, IMECE.
- Helped in preparing for the ISTP-13 conference at University of Victoria, Canada, 2002.