- Ph.D. in Urban Design, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 2008
- M.Sc. in Urban Planning, University of Thessaly, Volos Greece, 2002
- M.A. in Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece , 2000
- B.Sc. in Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 2000
Areas of Competence
- Urban Design and Urban Regeneration
- Urban Morphology and public space
- Urban Planning
- Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, ADU, UAE, 2015-Now
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Architecture, ADU, UAE, 2014-2015
- Adjunct Lecturer, University of Thessaly, Volos Greece, 2010-2011
- Adjunct Lecturer, Democritus Univ.of Thrace, Greece, 2005-2008
Research & Scholarly activities
Conference Proceedings and Journals
Lectures - Workshops
- Housing in the sand and social inertia; A case study from Saudi Arabia, A.Kyriazis, E.Balassis, N.Patsavos: Paper submitted and presented at the University of Cyprus’ international Conference “HOUSED by CHOICE, HOUSED by FORCE: Homes, Conflicts and Conflicting Interests”, January 21-22 2016, Nicosia Cyprus. The full paper was peer reviewed, it shall be published on the “Architecture-MPS” online journal this month and later on at an edited book.
- Planning without the planner; Intrusive patterns in city and urban planning, as highlighted at the Mesochora dam operation and village relocation case, A. Kyriazis, at Aeichoros (Texts of urban planning Digital magazine of the Department of urban Planning of the university of Thessaly), September 2012. http://www.aeihoros.gr/article/en/sxediasmos-erimin-tou-sxediasti-paremvatikes-praktikes-ston-poleodomiko-kai-astiko-sxediasmo
- Paper: “Legal frame controversies and planning dead-ends; urban environment and forest in collision at the new master Plan of Kavala”, K.Lalenis and A.Kyriazis, 3rd Greek Conference of Urban Planning, Volos Greece, 27-30 September 2012.
- Paper: “Emancipation of the Greek General Building Regulation towards a more collective urban landscape”, A.Kyriazis, 3rd Greek Conference of Urban Planning, Volos Greece, 27-30 September 2012.
- Paper: "Forest “swallowing” city: the adventures of Master Plan of Kavala in the crossroads of Greek legal frameworks for spatial planning and forest protection”, K.Lalenis and A.Kyriazis, AESOP 26th Annual Congress, Ancara Turkey, 11-15 July 2012
- Paper: “Public spaces from within; proposals for reclaiming the cities’ lost space”, at Chania’s Society of Architects “P-Public” international conference for public space, Chania Greece 3-6 June 2011.
- Invited keynote speaker to a Magnesia’s Society of Architects round table discussion entitled: “11th National Architectural Convention (SADAS-PEA): the day after”, with architects Mr. Lyroudias Evangelos (Chairman of the Greek Society of Architects) and Professor Papadopoulos Lois (School of Architecture, University of Thessaly, Volos), Volos 27 March 2011.
- Paper: “Adjunct Lecturers; an in-between non-space of education”, at 11th National Architectural Convention (SADAS-PEA), Zappion, Athens, 17-20 March 2011.
- Paper: “The lost value of semi-public space in Greek buildings”, at 11th National Architectural Convention (SADAS-PEA), Zappion, Athens, 17-20 March 2011.
- Invited keynote speaker. Paper announcement, entitled: “Adjunct Lecturers; an in-between space of education”, at Larissa’s Architectural Society conference “Architecture and education”, Larissa Greece, 12 February 2011.
- “Semi-public spaces, semi-responsible engineers”, A. Kyriazis, at “Architects” journal, issue 78B, January-March 2010, (Athens, SADAS-PEA) and also at: http://www.greekarchitects.gr/index.php?maincat=1&newid=2402
- Invited Lecturer, “Participatory Planning; Cases of public interference in Greece and thoughts about the UAE”, at Paris Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, January 27th 2016
- Selected study group member to prepare a new General Buildings Regulation for Greek cities by SADAS (Greek Union of Architects), May 2013.
- Invited Lecturer, “Active City Blocks” at NTUA Master’s program at Architecture and space planning, module: Urban planning and environmental legal frame (Professor D.Melissas), Athens, 3 April 2013.
- Participation at the “Landscape Architecture and environment management” workshop, KAM (Center of Mediterranean Architecture, Chania, Greece) and ETSAB (Escola Tecnic Superior d’Architettura Barcelona), E.U. project “Leonardo Da Vinci”, Barcelona, Spain, June 2004.
- Research Grant awarded for the Program: “The revenge or the Superblocks: Urban Regeneration Study of Abu Dhabi’s Central Business District”, Approved as part of the Faculty Research Incentive Grants Program, ADU, role: P.I., Approval date: 25/2/2016, Duration: 1 year
- Participation (urban data processing), research project “An advanced approach to the earthquake danger scenarios, applied to some European cities – Risk-UE”, school of Civil Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, May-June 2002.
- Participation (urban data processing), research project “Urban Planning project for the development of a total methodology concerning seismic vulnerability of common good networks, infrastructures and strategic buildings, for the earthquake risk management within urban complexes - SRM-Life”, school of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, May 2004 -June 2008.
- Honorary Excellence Scholarship awarded by the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
COURSES TAUGHT AT A.Y. 2014-2015 AND 2015-2016
- Urban Design Studio (ARC 470)
- Graduation Project (ARC 550) – Supervision of Four students.
- Design Studio 3 (ARC 310)
- Design Studio 6 (ARC 450)
- Sustainable Design (ARC 540)
- Housing (ARC 584)
- Graduation Project (ARC 510-550) – Supervision of Nine students.
- Sustainable Urban Spaces and Landscape Design (ARC 605) at the M.Sc. in Sustainable Architecture
CONSULTANCY & INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
- Lead Urban Planner, Dorsch Gruppe, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2014-2015
- Lead Urban Planner, Dar Al Riyadh, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2013-2014
- Urban Planner, Schediasmos S.A., Thessaloniki Greece, 2007-2010
- Architect, Koukopoulos Stamatis, Architect, Thessaloniki Greece, 2003-2007
- Junior Architect, Karathanou Irene - Kitsos Kostas Architects, Volos Greece, 2000-2003
- Apostolos Kyriazis Private Practice, Volos Greece, 2000-Now
- Co-Curator of the Greek Pavillion in 2016 Venice Biennale of Architecture “This is a Co-op”.
- 1st Prize, Greek architectural competition “Heraklion X4” (individual participation), 2013.
- 3rd Prize, Greek architectural competition for the renewal of the “Balkan square” at the Strebeniotis former military camp, municipality of Neapoli-Sykies, Thessaloniki, Greece, Urban planning proposal, cooperation with Office25 architects, March – June 2012.
- 2nd place at National Urban Planning Competition for the Kavala Master Plan, Greek Association of Urban and Regional Planners, 2008.
MEMBERSHIP OF SCIENTIFIC & PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Member of TEE (Technical Chamber of Greece) since 2000, S/N: 85521
- Member of Greek Union of Architects (SADAS-PEA, member of UIA).
- Member of Magnesia’s Union of Architects (Volos, Greece).
- Member of SCE (Saudi Council of Engineers) since 2013, S/N: 137973.